Thursday, December 4, 2008

What it means to be an adult

Two nights ago at the dinner table Caden made his usual request "I want some of dat" - referring to the salt and pepper.  We responded to his request with no son you don't want this, it's hot and adults eat this.  He proceeded with his usual survey of our likes & dislikes, asking "daddy, you wike dat" and "mommy you wike dat"?

Fast forward.  
Today at nap time we were reading the story of Jesus' birth.  I told him how Jesus was born and he grew up.  Caden looked at the page and said, "where the big boy?"  I said that's in the next story, he's a little boy here.  

He then asked the same question he does everyday, 21 times a day - "where daddy".  I reminded him why daddy's goes to work and that some adults work at an office, some at home and some at a school.

Caden then told me "mommy i grow up bigger big (hand motions included) and i go to work and eat hot pepper and be adult".  

Oh, so THAT's what it means to be an adult.   :-)

No comments: